Our Regulator and Our Operator

Securities and Exchange Regulator of Cambodia

Securities and Exchange Regulator of Cambodia (SERC), formerly known as Securities and Exchange Commission of Cambodian (SECC), is established under the law on The Issuance and Trading of Non-Government Securities (Preah Reach Kram No NS/RKM/ 1007/028). SERC regulates the securities industry in Cambodia to contribute to socio-economic development through capital mobilization from public/ securities investors to meet the demand of financing for investors.

The Missions of SERC are to:

  • Develop and maintain the confidence of public investors in the Kingdom of Cambodia by protecting their lawful rights and ensuring that the offer, issue, purchase and sale of securities are carried out in a fair and orderly manner;
  • Promote the effective regulation, efficiency and orderly development of the securities markets;
  • Encourage the varieties of saving tools through buying of securities and other financial instruments;
  • Encourage foreign investment and participation in the securities markets in the Kingdom of Cambodia; and
  • Assist in facilitating the privatisation of state-owned enterprises in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

SERC website: secc.gov.kh

Cambodia Securities Exchange

With the basic purpose of achieving high economic growth by facilitating flows of capital, investment and reallocation of capital based on capital market mechanisms, in November 2006, The Ministry of Economy and Finance of the Kingdom of Cambodia and Korea Exchange signed a Memorandum of understanding on “the Development of the Securities Market in Cambodia”. Based on this Memorandum of Understanding, the Prime Minister, Samdech HUN Sen hosted an international conference in November 2007 and proclaimed to launch of the Cambodia Securities Market project.

In 2008, another Memorandum of understanding on the “Establishment of a Cambodia Securities Exchange in the Kingdom of Cambodia” was signed by the Ministry of Economy and Finance of the kingdom of Cambodia and Korea Exchange. In March 2009, the Royal Government of Cambodia represented by the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) and Korea Exchange (KRX) has signed a “Joint-Venture Agreement” to establish a stock Market (“The Cambodia Securities Exchange Co., Ltd”), as a public enterprise in accordance with the Law on the General Statutes of Public Enterprises. The Cambodia Securities Exchange was then incorporated in February 23rd, 2010. In accordance with the Joint-Venture Agreement, the Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX) has been capitalized by both parties in which MEF owns55% of the registered capital and KRX the remaining 45%.

In accordance with the Law on Issuance and Trading of Non-Government Securities, the CSX had been granted approval to function as market operator, clearing and settlement facility operator and depository operator.

CSX website: csx.com.kh